Chris Ly, Biomedical Designer, Illustrator and Animator
Chris holds a Master of Science in Biomedical Communications (MScBMC) from the University of Toronto. She is a creative biomedical designer, illustrator and animator with a passion for storytelling and communicating complex medical concepts through captivating visuals. Seeking opportunities to contribute her creativity and problem-solving skills to empower and inspire people.
MSc in Biomedical Communications. University of Toronto, Toronto, ON.
2021 – 2023
Continuing Studies. Metropolitan University, Toronto, ON.
Courses: Human Anatomy, Biology I & II, Chemistry I, Cell Biology I & II, and Physiology.
2020 – 2021
BFA in Drawing and Painting. Ontario College of Art and Design University, Toronto, ON. Minor in Illustration
2013 – 2018
Breast Reconstruction – Exploring Your Options, 2023 (Animation)
Role: Script Designer and Animator
- “Breast Reconstruction – Exploring Your Options” is an animation project aimed at introducing breast reconstruction options for breast cancer patients. The animation stands out for its thoughtful and empathetic approach to delivering information to patients during their difficult journey.
- The animation has received positive feedback for its informative and empathetic approach, supporting breast cancer patients in making informed choices.
Skills Applied: Research and patient Interviewing, storyboarding, character design, 3D sculpting, retopologizing, rigging, animating, rendering, and compositing.
Interface for TCT Conference, 2022 (Touch Interactive)
Role: UX/UI Designer and 3D Modeller
- Designed and developed an engaging interactive interface using Unity for the 2022 Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) conference under Boston Scientific’s management. The interface aimed to educate attendees about the application of heart transseptal devices in delivering therapies into the left atrium.
- Resulted in increased attendee engagement and better comprehension of the medical procedures and devices showcased.
Skills Applied: Interactive building on Unity, user interface design, user testing, Figma, and cross-functional collaboration.
The Bay Days, 2019 (Children’s Story Book)
Role: Illustrator and Co-authour
- Crafted a narrative that gently introduces mental health, specifically about a young girl grappling with family history and depression.
- Illustrated the journey of the main character through compelling visuals, effectively depicting the presence of metaphorical “monsters” representing the struggles of mental health.
- Aiming to foster empathy and understanding, skillfully blended storytelling and artistic creativity to bring to life a story that offers valuable lessons about mental health to young readers.
Skills Applied: Storyboarding, creative writing, traditional and digital illustration, and layout designing.
Biomedical Communication Intern, Boston Scientific, Toronto, ON.
July – October 2022
- Utilized Adobe Suite to edit and illustrate images for marketing and advertising purposes, ensuring effective communication of the company’s medical devices.
- Created and optimized 3D models of medical devices, contributing to establishing an asset library for future projects.
Illustrator and Designer, Freelance, Toronto, ON.
2015 – Present
- Produced artistic pieces for small businesses and personal projects, showcasing creativity and attention to detail.
- Collaborated closely with clients to understand their vision and deliver customized solutions, resulting in high client satisfaction.
- Successfully met deadlines and handled last-minute tasks within short time frames, demonstrating adaptability and efficiency.
Career Speaker, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON.
- Delivered a career talk to an audience of 250 high school students from diverse international backgrounds, all enthusiastic to explore careers in health sciences.
- Purposefully aimed to inspire and enlighten students about the vast opportunities in medical illustration and my personal academic journey.
- Conducted a 25-minute power-point presentation followed by a Q&A session.
• English, Native
• Vietnamese, Fluent
• Portugese (BR), Intermediate